Hong Kong Genome Institute (“HKGI“) pledges to fully comply with the requirements of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (the “Ordinance“), including all the applicable data protection principles. In doing so, HKGI pledges to ensure that its staff, agents and contractors comply with the highest standards in relation to information security and data protection.
Collection of Personal Data
Subject to any applicable exemptions provided for in the Ordinance, HKGI will provide a Personal Information Collection Statement (“PICS”) when collecting personal data from individuals.
The personal data we collect may include:
- Enquiry and complaint records, including but not limited to records containing information supplied by relevant persons in connection with the handling of enquiries and complaints;
- Personnel records, including but not limited to personal and family information, employment terms, payroll, employment benefits, leave, training and medical records, enrolment of provident fund schemes, performance appraisals, disciplinary records and any other information in connection with job applications and/or employment matters; and
- Other administrative and operational records, including but not limited to personal data collected in connection with public participation of HKGI’s projects (such as Hong Kong Genome Project (“HKGP“)), surveys, public engagement and consultation activities, promotional activities, subscriptions to HKGI’s alerts for news and events, visit programmes, appointment to advisory boards and committees, quotation and tender exercises, applications for work contacts, payment records.
Use of Personal Data
Personal data may be used for the purposes of implementing HKGP and for carrying out the relevant functions and work:
- Enquiry and complaint records for processing individual cases, communicating with the enquirers or complainants and taking follow-up actions as appropriate;
- Personnel records for recruitment and human resource management purposes; and
- Other administrative and operational records for various purposes such as process of applications, participation in HKGP, public consultation, promotional activities, researches and surveys, process of subscriptions to HKGI’s alerts for news and events, arranging visit programmes, seeking views on policy matters, procurement of goods and services, liaison with work contacts, and effecting payments.
Information Collected When Visiting This Website
Statistics on visitors browsing this website: when you visit this website, HKGI will record your visit as a “hit”. The webserver makes a record of the visit which includes your IP address, the type and configuration of browser used, language settings, geo-location, operating system used, information on the site which redirects you to HKGI website (if any), screen resolution information, time/duration of the visit and the pages visited on this website (together “webserver access log“).
HKGI uses the webserver access log for the purpose of maintaining and improving this website. Such data will only be used and retained for the purposes of website security, error fixing, enhancement and optimisation.
HKGI does not use website visitor data to personally identify anyone.
The HKGI website is developed and maintained by a third party service provider.
HKGI’s IT systems are developed and maintained by in-house staff and/or third party service providers. The third party service providers do not have access to personal data stored in the relevant systems except when carrying out trouble-shooting or maintenance functions under the supervision of the relevant HKGI staff.
All third party service providers are bound by a contractual and statutory duties to keep any personal data they have access to confidential and are prohibited from unauthorised access, use and/or retention of such data.
HKGI endeavours to take appropriate steps to protect personal data against loss, unauthorised access, use, modification or disclosure in accordance with the Ordinance.
Retention of Personal Data
Personal data will be retained for such period as may be necessary for carrying out the purposes referred to in the PICS or for which the data is or is to be used. Different retention periods may apply.
Disclosure of Personal Data
Personal data collected by HKGI may be transferred and/or disclosed to third parties as provided for in the PICS (if applicable) or as set out in express notice.
Data Access and Correction
If you wish to request access to and/or correction of your personal data held by HKGI, you may do so by completing the Data Access Request Form specified by the Privacy Commissioner for Personal Data and sending the completed form to HKGI at the following address by post:
Hong Kong Genome Institute
2/F, Building 20E,
20 Science Park East Avenue,
Hong Kong Science Park,
Pak Shek Kok, New Territories
Please note that HKGI may refuse to comply with a data access and/or a data correction request in accordance with section 20 and section 24 of the Ordinance.
A reasonable fee may be charged for the processing of a data access request.
If there is any inconsistency or ambiguity between the English and the Chinese versions of this Policy, the English version shall prevail.